Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Spring is Kitten Season

Another Tuesday- I guess I think of Tuesdays as a good day to post here. As good a day as any.

I had coffee this morning with a friend that lived in one of the neighborhoods where I grew up. I say one of them, because we moved sometimes once a year, as my father was a contractor and liked to flip houses. Unfortunately, we lived in those place while he renovated. So I went to a few schools.

Anyway, it was fun to catch up with someone who I always liked, and it really doesn't seem like 30 years has passed. It was a good morning.

I have been faffing around quite a bit, because I ordered some needles to finish the sleeves on my Southwell Cardigan, and it seems I can't tell the difference between 40cm and 40". So I went to Romni and got what I needed. I swear I have never had so many setbacks with a project, at least, not that I can remember.

To keep myself amused, I have decided to master some knitted glovemaking skills. Well, I have made gloves before, but there are some ways of obviating the holes between the fingers and things like that. I really love the Shetland and Fair Isle ones, and you see, I have a bit of a (cough) stash.

There are alot of partial balls, as well as skeins (from the wonderful times where you could buy the yarn in a hank instead of those silly balls). There is also a few SQ's in there. But think of the possibilities.
These are called Benon Gloves by Hazel Tindall. She is a master knitter from Shetland, and probably can do these in her sleep. I did notice that in many of the patterns, the recommended needle size as well as the gauge varied enormously.
These OXO pattern gloves are from a book called "Knitted Fair Isle Mittens & Gloves"- some of these patterns call for a 2.25mm needle, which kind of baffles me. I am going to faff around more and see what works. (alot of faffing goes on around here....)

Let's get onto the "cute" section- it may not be what you expect. (If you are on Instagram you may have already seen this.)
I was out on Friday with my Buddy and I saw this car parked at the curb. Check out the mouse tail and the ears. A couple of guys got out, and I was laughing and saying how much I loved their car. They were so nice and even gave me a small replica of the car. Apparently, the ears are aerodynamic too.
I would so totally drive that. I case you're wondering, it's a pest control company.

Over at Miss Mew's, kitten season is in full gear. Chloe gave birth to 4 healthy kittens, and we're pretty sure they are all girls (it's rare to get a female ginger- they're usually toms). The one on the end is a calico, like mommy.

One of the babies had a twisted foot, and the vet is taping it as it grows. Can you stand the cuteness of the bandages? It's all I can do to control myself, and not place them in my purse and run away with them.

Okay, I'm fleecing out, or faffing, as the case may be.






4 comments:

  1. Sweet kittens and nice gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I want to try to knit a pair of gloves - if nothing else, just to see how well it does or doesn't go.

    Oh the kittens! Our girl Hannah was a female ginger, but both our gingers now are the expected boy kitties. A friend of mine rescued a mama cat and kitten from her back yard and the pictures she is sharing are like these - it kinda makes you want to scream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kittens!!!!! Oh, how cute re that car - I saw a little red car with devil horns (no tail that I noticed, alas) a few days ago and got such a giggle out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the car! I have long thought that if I got a VW Beetle, I'd have to decorate it up somehow. (Of course, I'd first have to enjoy driving the VW Beetle.)

    And those kittens! So adorable. You have such restraint. I would have nabbed one by now.

    ReplyDelete