Monday, 22 May 2017

SO I forgot to say........

Heeeyyy.... it's been a while. This is the Monday of the May two-fer, or Victoria Day weekend. It's sort of the unofficial beginning of summer for us, but traditionally it marks the time when you are safe to plant outside, because there shouldn't be any risk of frost.

I did actually spend alot of time outside, planted up the urns and moved some plants around. FC was a star and dug up some trees and bushes, pulled weeds and cut and fertilized the grass. As I am typing, he's putting away some stuff in the crawlspace, because we all know that's someplace I never go.

I've been busy- here, I'll show you:

Started sewing a linen dress, and used some beautiful William Morris fabric for the back facing. This is a Merchant & Mills pattern, the Dress Shirt. This appeals to me because it's a simple, but effective project, that has some classic details. About my speed.

I had a conversation with my bestie about why we never get around to doing the things we want to, the things on our lists. Our Ravelry queue (my 10 year Ravelversary is June 18). I am way too susceptible to distractions, and I have really been trying not to let the new and shiny get in the way. I can't do ALL THE THINGS. But I will probably die trying.

To that end, we decided that we love making the same project at the same time, so we came up with a project that we've both been jonesing about, and it's this:

The Elizabeth shawl, by Dee O'Keefe. I have a number of her patterns queued, because they are so beautifully charted and written. You don't have to lock yourself in a room or drop acid before embarking on them. As some of you may remember, I used to be an avid lace knitter. Then I got distracted. This is in some Woolen Rabbit Whisper lace- my favorite and discontinued.

(is it me or is purple the hue de jour?)

Okay, I have a couple of rants- in no particular order.....

a) Why is it that when someone poses a question to somebody, on the news or in an interview, the first word they say is "so". As in "Mr. Jones, I hear you've invented the first (whatever)" and he replies "SO I've been working hard on this....blahblahblah" What does that mean?????

b) (and this one really gets me). Individuals on social media and wherever who RE-WRITE HISTORY. We know their story is bullcrap- we were there at the beginning. What makes them think they can invent a whole nonsense portrayal of their lives, how much money they have, whatever, and people aren't going to see it for what it is? Are they kidding themselves? I find it insulting because my radar is highly tuned. I know shit when I hear and see it. Are they not interested in facts and truth? How do you get away with that. Is your life based on a lie? Wow, just wow.

c) Those "cold shoulder" tops that everybody likes to wear. What the actual. You usually can't wear a bra underneath (one of my all time peeves) and you're going to the office? Huh?

d) Those ripped up jeans that people pay a fortune for. Even worse, daisy dukes. We don't need to see it.

Now that I have got that done, what is everyone up to? I have no plans to go anywhere this year as we are having a major wedding in November, and I have a bridal shower to plan, and I am so happy, and everything. Exciting times.

Hopefully the summer won't be nasty. I have ordered some yarn for a cardigan I have been thinking about since Christmas- the Halyard*. I have had a major bee in the bonnet about it (more of a wasp nest) and I have some things to finish before I start. Oh, and yes I did fix that glove- I can't believe I did that.

*the yarn is Range Hinterland, which happens to be the name of a great series we just watched. Someone was telling me to order the yarn.

Fleecin' out.

5 comments:

  1. Oh. A wedding! And no news of Clawed, etc? Love the shawl, and the dress. The Merchant & Mills Trapeze dress is also lovely thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow are you on my wavelength with your rants! This morning, I saw a woman wearing a cold shoulder top and ripped jeans, as a matter of fact. Ugh.

    Your shawl is looking so pretty, I love the color. And yes, purple does seem to be everywhere these days, much more than usual. The sweater looks cozy, that would be perfect for the winter. I can't wait to see your version.

    Happy Planting Season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty purple dress, pretty purple shawl. :D

    I have some of the same ranty questions you do!

    Our "official" beginning of summer is this coming weekend. Looking forward to the extra day off...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers are lovely. Also agree on the rants. I don't understand the shoulder cut out although just Monday I was watching a woman in parking lot with the weird top and thought it almost looked as if she was wearing a sleeveless top and a stole. Perhaps that is the look it is supposed to call up?

    As always, envious of your multi-crafting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um. I do that "So..." thing on my blog. A lot. Sorry.

    And I love the new shawl! I'm a sucker for lace, myself. And the purple yarn.

    Have a lovely summer! I have no summer plans, but will be going to Hawaii at the start of the fall, so I'm looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete